Friday, January 25, 2013



This is the fourth book in the famous Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. This book revived my interest in the series. It may sound negative, but it is true. I liked the first one, the second was okay, but after I read the third one I said 'that is enough of that series'. Then Goodreads stepped in.

So I picked up the fourth book. And it might have helped that my husband is a huge fan of the series. I was skeptical as it started in the White Tower. I'll admit it. I don't like the Aes Sedai. I like Elayne, Nyneave, and sometimes Egwene and Moiraine. But all the rest I don't like. I had forgotten that Min had been sent as a messenger their and I was pissed when she got pressed/forced into staying after delivering that message. Not a good way to start the book.

But I kept plodding. And half way through the book the story lines diverge as people go their own way. And then things got really interesting. Bad guys showed up and they weren't exactly determined to destroy everyone that particular moment. That gave the villains flavor and a dash of reality. Especially when the villains also made mistakes.

I don't want to give spoilers away to those who are interested in reading this series, so while Jordan's writing can be Tolkienesk, his characters have blossomed and become beautiful and I want to read the next book.

Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment